Production Potter (2 positions)
We are a small but mighty team. We are passionate about making pottery and adding a person to our team is something we do with great care. We are a highly collaborative team which means strong interpersonal and communication skills are vital to success. So is leaving your ego at the door. We are also a high volume production studio where everything is made by hand with care and attention to detail. What we value most are curiosity, motivation, self-determination and collaboration.
About the Role
As a production potter at Island Stoneware you are involved in every stage of production. You will do everything from wedging clay and throwing on the wheel or building from slab to glaze formulation and application and to unloading finished products from the kiln.
We are a high volume studio. When throwing on the wheel, it is not uncommon for our production potters to throw 80-100 pieces a day.
Our studio team is highly collaborative in day-to-day work and in product development. Our ideal team members bring their own creative ideas to the table and are able to receive and give constructive feedback while we develop pieces and work through design concepts, production issues and, marketing and sales considerations. We are not a studio for lone wolves or egos unable to accommodate feedback from others.
We have a learning culture at Island Stoneware and we are always looking for ways to improve our pottery and learn new techniques that make us better and more efficient. We are constantly seeking expertise from each other and sharing what we can with others to improve what we’re already doing, troubleshoot problems or create new products and processes.
Our potters tell us that working at Island Stoneware will make you better because of the range responsibilities and the volume of work. As a small team, our potters are cross-trained across all aspects of production.
This is a long-term opportunity to pursue a career as a potter in a busy studio with a great team.
About Island Stoneware
Island Stoneware has been hand crafting pottery since 2007. We craft our pottery onsite in our studio located in Summerside, Prince Edward Island, Canada. We have a retail shop in our studio, a summer seasonal shop, and sell worldwide from our online store.
We are serious about making great pottery and have as much fun as we can making it. We make an incredible amount of products for a small team. We do this by all pitching in with no job too big or small for anyone.
- Flexible schedule
- Health and dental insurance
- Competitive salary
We are open to a range of employment options, including contract or part-time.
Customer engagement & service
Slab building workshops
- Throwing the requested products in a timely manner
- Throwing each piece to the standard of the production sample
- Maintaining quality standards of each piece
- Learning alongside other team members to achieve consistency across products
- Challenging yourself to throw more efficiently to maximize quantity and quality of production
Customer Engagement & Service
- Embracing our open studio and responding to customer questions and comments appropriately
- Educating the customer about the Island Stoneware brand and production technique
- Maintaining studio cleanliness and presentation to improve the customer experience
- Recording daily output in the production log
- Maintain a timely schedule to meet inventory requirements
- Consistent communication with studio lead/co-owner and team members regarding new pieces, challenges, etc.
Slab Building Workshops
- Facilitating 2-hour slab building workshops
- Preparing studio space and materials for workshops
- Prior throwing experience essential
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to lift 40 pounds daily
- Excellent hand-eye coordination and hand strength
- Willingness to work 40+ hours a week (occasionally evenings & weekends)
If you’re interested, please contact Jamie Niessen, Co-owner, at firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and access/links to your portfolio.